Sweet and Sour Couscous-Stuffed Peppers
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Stuff couscous and beef into sweet bell peppers for a nutritious protein-packed meal. The bold colors of the antioxidant-packed bell peppers[ aren't just for decoration-the more bright colors you can pile onto your plate, the healthier your meal will be.]
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 1 large shallot, cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley, dill or a combination
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 4 red, yellow, orange or green bell peppers or a mix of colors, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1/2 cup whole wheat couscous
- 3/4 cup grated asiago cheese
Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high. Add the chopped vegetables and cook, stirring frequently, until light golden and soft, 8 to 10 minutes. (Add a splash of water if the mixture begins to stick.) Add the ground beef and 4 teaspoons of the tomato paste and cook, breaking the mixture up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water, the parsley, raisins, 1 tablespoon of the vinegar and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer and cook until most of the water is absorbed and the mixture gets saucy, about 1 minute. Let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, toss the pepper halves with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave until the peppers are pliable, 10 to 12 minutes. Carefully uncover the bowl and pour out any liquid that has accumulated.
Carefully transfer the peppers to the baking dish cut-side up and fill each pepper with the couscous mixture. Sprinkle with the cheese. Cover with foil and bake until the peppers are tender and the stuffing is hot, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature drizzled with the tomato cooking liquid.
From Food Network Kitchens
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray