- For the filling:
- 3 poblano peppers
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1 pound fresh Mexican chorizo, casings removed
- Kosher salt
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 15 -ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- For the topping:
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
Make the filling: Roast the poblanos directly over the flame of a gas burner or under the broiler, turning with tongs, until charred all over, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cover with a plate and set aside until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Scrape off the charred skin with a paring knife, then chop, discarding the stems and seeds; set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the ground pork, chorizo and 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and cook, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 8 minutes; transfer to a bowl.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in the pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, chipotle powder, cinnamon and cloves and cook, stirring, until the spices are toasted, 1 minute. Return the meat to the pot and add the tomatoes, corn, Worcestershire sauce and the roasted poblanos. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer 10 minutes; season with kosher salt and stir in the cilantro. Pour the mixture into a 3-quart baking dish.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Make the topping: Whisk the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt in a bowl. Whisk the melted butter, buttermilk and eggs in another bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until incorporated; stir in the cheese.
Dollop the cornbread mixture over the filling and smooth into an even layer with the back of a spoon. Bake until the filling is bubbling and the topping is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Photograph by Con Poulos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.