Turkey-Escarole Soup with Farfalline
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks (white and light green parts only), thinly sliced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 parsnips, chopped
- 4 quarts turkey broth
- Kosher salt
- 1 small head escarole, chopped
- 2 wide strips lemon zest (removed with a vegetable peeler)
- 3 cups chopped leftover roast turkey (skin removed)
- 1 cup farfalline or other small pasta
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill and/or parsley (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks, celery, carrots and parsnips and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
Add the escarole and lemon zest to the pot and simmer until the escarole is tender, about 10 more minutes.
Add the turkey and pasta and cook until the pasta is partially cooked, about 4 minutes. (The pasta will continue cooking in the hot soup.) Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Discard the lemon zest and top with the herbs.
Photograph by Andrew Purcell
Thank you! your flag was submitted.