Vegan Roasted-Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
From Food Network Kitchen
Yellow-fleshed potatoes, like Yukon gold, are dense, creamy and moderately starchy, making them perfect for mashed potatoes-especially these[ vegan spuds, which have no dairy and are low in calories and fat.]
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 4 potatoes)
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond or other plant-based milk, warm, plus more if needed
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons minced chives (about 1/4 a small bunch), plus more for garnish
Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover by 1 inch with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes. Strain and return the potatoes to the saucepan.
Add the roasted garlic with any juice that has collected, almond milk, remaining 2 teaspoons of oil and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt to the potatoes. Mash with a potato masher until smooth or to the desired consistency, adding additional almond milk if necessary. Stir in the chives and add salt to taste. Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl, garnish with additional chivesand serve.
Copyright 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay