Vegetarian Chef's Salad
- 1 pound white mushrooms, trimmed and halved
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 pound yellow wax beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 4 ounces smoked or baked tofu
- 1/3 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 12 cups mixed greens (about 12 ounces)
- 2 vacuum-packed cooked beets, cut into sticks
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into sticks
- 2 tablespoons salted roasted sunflower seeds
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Toss the mushrooms with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste on a baking sheet. Roast until tender and golden, about 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, put the eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water; bring to a boil. Add the wax beans and remove from the heat; cover and let stand 10 minutes. Drain, then rinse the eggs and beans under cold water. Peel and quarter the eggs; set aside. Toss the beans with 1 teaspoon vinegar and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Cut three-quarters of the tofu into sticks.
Make the dressing: Combine one-third of the mushrooms, the remaining tofu, 3 tablespoons vinegar and 1 tablespoon olive oil, the yogurt, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a food processor and puree. Toss with the greens; season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls. Top with the remaining mushrooms and tofu, the eggs, beans, beets, cheese and sunflower seeds.
Photograph by Justin Walker
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Ingrid Hoffmann