Vegetarian Chef's Salad
- 1 pound white mushrooms, trimmed and halved
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 pound yellow wax beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 4 ounces smoked or baked tofu
- 1/3 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 12 cups mixed greens (about 12 ounces)
- 2 vacuum-packed cooked beets, cut into sticks
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into sticks
- 2 tablespoons salted roasted sunflower seeds
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Toss the mushrooms with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste on a baking sheet. Roast until tender and golden, about 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, put the eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water; bring to a boil. Add the wax beans and remove from the heat; cover and let stand 10 minutes. Drain, then rinse the eggs and beans under cold water. Peel and quarter the eggs; set aside. Toss the beans with 1 teaspoon vinegar and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Cut three-quarters of the tofu into sticks.
Make the dressing: Combine one-third of the mushrooms, the remaining tofu, 3 tablespoons vinegar and 1 tablespoon olive oil, the yogurt, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a food processor and puree. Toss with the greens; season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls. Top with the remaining mushrooms and tofu, the eggs, beans, beets, cheese and sunflower seeds.
Photograph by Justin Walker