Warm Beet and Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese
- 2 medium beets, peeled and cut into 1-inch-thick wedges
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, walnuts or pecans, finely chopped
- 1 4 -ounce log goat cheese
- 1 cup leftover lentils from Salmon with Lentils
- 1/4 pound slab or thick-cut bacon, sliced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 large bunch frisee, torn, or 6 cups baby greens
Preheat the oven to 400. Toss the beets with 3 tablespoons olive oil in a roasting pan and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, season the nuts with salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Cut the goat cheese into 4 even rounds. Press the cut sides in the nuts and set aside. Warm the lentils in the microwave or in a saucepan and season with salt and pepper.
Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, 10 minutes, and transfer to paper towels with a slotted spoon. Add the shallot to the pan drippings and cook for 20 seconds. Remove from the heat; whisk in the vinegar and sugar.
Remove the beets from the oven and warm the nut-crusted goat cheese on the hot roasting pan. Toss the frisee with the bacon and dressing and divide among bowls. Top the salads with beets, lentils and a round of goat cheese. Drizzle with more olive oil.
Per serving: Calories 482; Fat 39 g (Saturated 12 g); Cholesterol 42 mg; Sodium 571 mg; Carbohydrate 19 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 15 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.