White Bean-Chard Soup
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- Kosher salt
- 2 15 .5-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 12 -ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic (4 minced; 1 whole)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, leaves roughly chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread
- Lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and cook until the vegetables are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and broth, bring to a simmer and cook 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the roasted peppers, minced garlic and cilantro and cook until the garlic is soft, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chard, cover and cook until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Scrape the contents of the skillet into the pot and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Toast the bread, then rub with the whole garlic clove. Serve the soup with the bread and lemon wedges, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 484; Fat 19 g (Saturated 3 g); Cholesterol 25 mg; Sodium 1,563 mg; Carbohydrate 58 g; Fiber 11 g; Protein 21 g
Photographs by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.