- 1/4 pound butter, plus 1/4 pound butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (12-ounces) can tomatoes
- 1 (12-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pound ziti rigate or penne
- 3 cups grated pecorino Romano
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 5 eggs
In a hot pan melt 4 ounces of butter, add ground chuck, chopped onion, salt, and pepper. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce, bay leaf, and cinnamon and cook over medium flame for about 35 minutes.
Mix the final layer, the Pastitsio Crema by mixing 4 ounces of melted, cooled butter and 3/4 cup of flour. Heat 3 1/2 cups of milk and pour a little over flour and butter mixture then pour the rest of the mixture into the milk. Add 5 beaten eggs and stir thoroughly over medium flame until mixture thickens. Pour the crema on top of the meat sauce and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until brown. Cool for 1 hour before cutting.