Fresh Cherries with Semolina Toast and Rhododendron Honey
- 1 pint very ripe dark cherries, split in 1/2 and pitted
- 1 pint very ripe white cherries (Rainier), split in 1/2 and pitted
- 2 tablespoons rhododendron honey
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 6 sprigs lemon verbena, 2 crushed and 4 for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 (1-inch thick) slices semolina bread (cut from a 2-pound loaf)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Generously brush each slice of bread with the olive oil. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the bread slices and toast, turning once, until crisp.
Divide the toast among 4 plates. Drain the cherries and reserve the juice. Top the toast with the cherries and drizzle with the reserved juice. Garnish each plate with lemon verbena.
Recipe courtesy of Michel Nischan