"I love my Artichoke and Tomato Panzanella," says Giada. "It is a great go-to recipe because I always have the ingredients in my pantry. All the colors and flavors of the tomatoes, artichokes, basil and olives make this a tasty and vibrant dish."
- 3 cups 1 1/2-inch-cubed whole-wheat bread
- One 10-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed (about 2 cups)
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 3 large red tomatoes, cut into wedges (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup pitted black olives, halved
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves (about 1 bunch)
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Drizzle the bread and artichoke hearts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the bread and artichokes until golden brown at the edges, about 6 minutes total, turning every 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the bread and artichokes from the grill and transfer to a large bowl.
Add the tomatoes, olives and basil to the bowl and toss to combine. In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, white wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the salad. Toss to combine and serve immediately.