- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup club soda
- 1 tablespoon sesame or peanut oil
- 12 medium asparagus stalks, trimmed
- 12 green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, pour in enough vegetable oil to fill the pan about 1/3 of the way. Heat over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer, inserted in the oil, reaches 375 degrees F. (If you dont have a thermometer a cube of bread will brown in about 2 minutes.)
Dip the vegetables in the batter and fry, 3 or 4 at a time, until the batter is golden and crispy, about 60 to 70 seconds. Drain on paper towels.
Arrange the vegetables on a platter and serve the soy sauce alongside as a dipping sauce.