- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1 pound treviso or radicchio, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 3 packed cups (3 ounces) baby spinach
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 cups (11 ounces) goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water.
In a 12-inch skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and golden, about 1 minute. Remove the garlic and discard.
Add the pasta and Parmesan. Toss well and thin out the sauce with a little pasta water, if needed. Season with salt, to taste.
Transfer the penne to serving bowls. Top each portion with the crumbled goat cheese and garnish with basil before serving.