Roasted Red Bell Peppers with Eggplant (Funghetto)
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 medium red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, cored and seeded
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Two 8-ounce Japanese eggplants, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- One 26-ounce jar tomato-basil sauce, such as Giada De Laurentiis for Target Tomato-Basil Sauce
- 20 pitted medium black olives, chopped
- 20 pitted medium green olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
For the peppers: Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Spray a small baking dish or baking sheet with vegetable oil cooking spray. Arrange the peppers, cut side-up, on the baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Bake until the peppers are tender but still holding their shape, about 20 minutes.
For the eggplant: Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a 12-inch nonstick skillet. Add the eggplant in batches and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain on paper towels and season with salt.
For the filling: Combine the cooked eggplant, tomato-basil sauce, olives, capers, salt and pepper in a 12-inch nonstick skillet. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes.
Preheat the broiler.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.