Spiced Virgin Apple Martinis
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1/2 a large lemon)
- 4 cinnamon sticks, halved
- One 1/4-inch-thick piece candied ginger
- 6 gingersnaps cookies (about 1 1/2 ounces), broken coarsely
- 1/3 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- One 25.4-ounce bottle sparkling apple cider, chilled
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, halved, cored and cut into 6 wedges
In a small saucepan, combine the 1/2 cup of the sugar, 1/2 cup water, lemon juice, cinnamon sticks and candied ginger. Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the syrup comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Strain and transfer to a small bowl. (Can be made 2 days in advance). Pour 1/4 cup of the cinnamon syrup into a large pitcher. Place the remaining syrup into a shallow bowl.
Grind the gingersnaps and the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in a mini processor to fine crumbs. (Alternatively, the cookies can be placed in a resealable plastic bag and crushed with a rolling pin or the bottom of a small saucepan.) Pour the crumbs into a second shallow bowl.
Dip the rim of each martini glass into the cinnamon syrup. Dip the moistened rims into the cookie crumbs several times to coat.