Swordfish and Spaghetti with Citrus Pesto
- For the Citrus pesto:
- 1 pound spaghetti pasta (recommended: Barilla)
- 1 bunch fresh basil, about 3 cups leaves
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lemon, zest grated and juiced
- 1 orange, zest grated and juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- For the Swordfish:
- 4 (6-ounce) swordfish steaks
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta and reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta liquid.
Blend the basil, pine nuts, garlic, zests, juices, salt, and pepper in a food processor until the mixture is finely chopped. With the machine running, gradually add the olive oil until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan. Toss with the warm spaghetti and the reserved pasta water.
Meanwhile, place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Brush both sides of the swordfish fillets with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the swordfish 3 to 4 minutes a side for a 1-inch thick fillet.
Transfer the pasta to a serving platter and top with the grilled swordfish fillets and serve.