- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 (3/4-inch-thick) slices rustic rye bread (each about 5 3/4 by 3 3/4 inches), cubed
- 6 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the pancetta and saute until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the bread and toss to coat with the pan drippings. Saute until the bread is crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and crushed red pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the flavors blend, about 10 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper.
Stir the mascarpone and sour cream in a small bowl to blend. Ladle the soup into bowls. Spoon a dollop of the mascarpone mixture atop the soup and serve.