Trinidadian Chicken Stew
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, halved
- 4 small skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 4 whole peeled canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups water
In a heavy bottomed 4-quart saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until very dark, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken pieces, ginger, 1 teaspoon of salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until the chicken is brown, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and break up with a wooden spoon. Add the thyme, 2 tablespoons of parsley, carrots, potatoes, and hot water. Cover the pan and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, about 40 to 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with the remaining parsley.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.