- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled ginger
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 1/3 cups plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- Freshly ground pepper
Combine the olive oil and onion in a Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, 10 minutes, until just starting to caramelize. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, 2 more minutes, being careful not to burn the mixture. Stir in the carrots, potato and the chicken or vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until the carrots and potato are very tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Keep warm.
Meanwhile, in a small saute pan over high heat, lightly toast the pine nuts. Set aside to cool. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, honey, thyme and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Puree the soup with an immersion blender until very smooth (or puree in a regular blender in batches). Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and serve with a dollop of the yogurt mixture and some pine nuts.
Per serving: Calories 183; Fat 8 g (Saturated 1 g); Cholesterol 20 mg; Sodium 319 mg; Carbohydrate 23 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 8 g
Photograph by Yunhee Kim
Thank you! your flag was submitted.