- 1/2 pound mixed heirloom tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, best quality
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, best quality
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1 head romaine, inner leaves only
- 1 1/2 cups micro greens
- 1/2 cup daikon radish sprouts
- 1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- Rosemary Crostini, for serving, recipe follows
Dice the tomatoes into 3/4-inch pieces, place in a bowl and add the olive oil, balsamic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and basil. Toss gently to combine. Adjust the seasoning if, needed.
Line a serving plate with the romaine leaves, like taco shells. Fill each with 1/4 cup micro greens, 1/2 to 3/4 cup tomato mixture and a few daikon sprouts. Top with Gorgonzola, a sprinkle of salt and a crack of black pepper. Garnish the plate with Rosemary Crostini Croutons. Serve immediately.
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 6 (1/2-inck) thick slices good sourdough or dense French bread
Preheat a grill to high heat. Combine the olive oil, garlic, basil, parsley, rosemary, salt and pepper in a small bowl and allow to sit 10 to 15 minutes, covered, at room temperature.
Cut the bread slices diagonally. Lightly brush 1 side of the bread triangles with the oil mix and place oiled-side up on the grill. Grill 2 to 3 minutes, flip and cook until nicely marked, 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove, dice into 3/4-inch cubes with a serrated knife and serve hot.
Cook's Note: Can be premade and quickly reheated in a broiler for 45 seconds to 1 minute.