Pigs in Spicy Blankets
- For the sausage:
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- For the dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- For the chipotle-agave mustard:
- 3 tablespoons agave syrup
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle chiles in adobo)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Make the sausage: Toast the coriander, fennel and caraway seeds in a small skillet over high heat, stirring, until fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Cool completely, then grind with a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder. Add the garlic, sage, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper and the red pepper flakes; grind to mix. Combine the spices with the ground pork in a bowl. Add the maple syrup and mix. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the dough: Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, Italian seasoning, mustard powder, baking soda, cayenne and sea salt in a food processor; pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse 5 to 6 times (for 4 to 5 seconds each time), until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Add the mozzarella and pulse 3 to 4 times, until well combined. Add the buttermilk and process until a ball forms. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
Form the sausage mixture into 16 mini sausages, about 4 inches long (use about 2 tablespoons sausage for each). Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the sausages in 2 batches until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Cool on paper towels.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Sprinkle with flour, then gently pat out and roll into a 12-by-16-inch rectangle. Trim the edges to make them even. Cut the rectangle in half crosswise, then cut each half into four 3-by-8-inch strips. Cut each strip in half diagonally to form 16 long triangles. Transfer to a baking sheet, cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate 15 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place 1 sausage on the wide end of a dough triangle and roll up. Repeat with the remaining dough and sausages. Arrange the pigs in blankets 2 inches apart on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets. Brush the tops with the beaten egg and bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
Photograph by Con Poulos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.