For the burgers:
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3 pounds ground turkey (white and dark meat)
For the glaze:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup diced jalapeno peppers, with seeds
- 1 9-ounce jar orange marmalade (with peel)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 hamburger buns or kaiser rolls
- Romaine lettuce, sliced tomato and sliced red onion, for topping
- Kosher pickles, for serving
Prep the burgers: Combine the salt, paprika, pepper and granulated garlic in a small bowl. Form 6 turkey patties and sprinkle on both sides with the seasoning mixture.
Make the glaze: Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and jalapenos and saute until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the marmalade, mustard, black pepper and chili powder and cook about 2 minutes, until fully combined. Reserve until ready to use.
Preheat a grill to high. Grill the patties until nice markings are shown, about 5 minutes per side, then reduce the flame to medium and cook until well done, 12 more minutes, flipping after 5 minutes. At the same time, toast the buns on the grill.
Serve the burgers on the buns; top with the glaze, lettuce, tomato and red onion. Serve with pickles.
Photograph by Jennifer Causey