Easy Lobster Paella
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (2 onions)
- 2 red bell peppers, cored and sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (4 to 6 cloves)
- 2 cups white basmati rice
- 5 cups good chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup licorice-flavored liqueur (recommended: Pernod)
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked lobster meat
- 1 pound kielbasa, sliced 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Heat the oil in a large ovenproof Dutch oven. Add the onions and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the bell peppers and cook over medium heat for 5 more minutes. Lower the heat, add the garlic, and cook for 1 minute longer. Stir in the rice, chicken stock, saffron, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and place it in the oven. After 15 minutes, stir the rice gently with a wooden spoon, and return it to the over to bake uncovered for 10 to 15 more minutes, until the rice is fully cooked.
Transfer the paella back to the stove top and add the licorice-flavored liqueur. Cook the paella over medium heat for 1 minute, until the liqueur is absorbed by the rice. Turn off the heat and add the lobster, kielbasa, and peas and stir gently. Cover the paella, and allow it to steam for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the parsley, garnish with lemon wedges, and serve hot.
2006, Barefoot Contessa at Home, All Rights Reserved