Jalapeno and Cheddar Cornbread
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus additional for topping
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
- 1 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup canned creamed corn
- 3 small green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 jalapeno chiles, seeded, deveined and finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. If using an 8-inch-square baking dish instead, simply grease the bottom of the dish with some of the butter and place the remainder in the bottom of the dish. Set the skillet or dish aside.
Sift the flour blend, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda together into a large bowl.
In a small bowl, mix the buttermilk and eggs together well. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients to thoroughly mix.
Fold in the cheese, creamed corn, green onions and chiles and stir until well combined.
Pour the mixture into the prepared skillet or baking dish and dab a bit more butter on top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the top is golden brown. Leave to cool in the pan or dish a few minutes before slicing and serving while warm.
Photograph by Con Poulos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.