Jamaican Curry Chicken and Potatoes with Scotch Bonnet Hot Peppers
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced ginger
- 1 small Scotch Bonnet pepper, minced (do not touch face or eyes after handling; immediately wash hands)
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 tablespoons Jamaican curry
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large russet potatoes, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) can coconut milk
- 8 ounces chicken stock
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Heat the oil in a medium-size saucepot at a medium heat. Add the onions, ginger, and Scotch Bonnet peppers; let saute for 5 to 8 minutes. Add butter and curry powder and let sit until curry powder turns a dark gold. Add the chicken and continue to cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook for another couple of minutes before adding the coconut milk. Let simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. Serve.
Recipe courtesy of Brian Hill, 2010
Recipe courtesy of Aria Kagan