Deviled Ham Eyeball Sandwich
- 20 slices white bread, such as Arnold Brick Oven White Sandwich Bread
- 2 cups smoked cooked ham, chopped (about 8 ounces)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon pickled relish
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Kosher salt
- 10 pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced in half
- Ketchup, for squirting
- Special equipment: 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter
Punch out rounds from the bread using a 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Lay out the rounds on a baking sheet. Set aside.
Add the ham, mayonnaise, honey, mustard, relish, Worcestershire and hot sauce in the bowl of a food processor. Sprinkle with salt and pulse until finely chopped, but still chunky. Spoon a tablespoon at a time of the ham mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roll each spoonful into round balls. Stuff 1 olive into the center of each ball for eyes. Lay the balls in the center of the bread rounds. Squirt ketchup around the edges of the bread to mimic veins. Serve to kids and pray they don't cry from how scary these are.
Recipe courtesy Jeff Mauro