Steak Milanesa Torta
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Four 8-ounce top-round steaks, pounded to about 1/4-inch thick
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Zest of 1 lime (1 teaspoon)
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 4 crusty hoagie rolls
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup Roasted Salsa, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup jarred sliced jalapenos, such as Vlasic
- 2 avocados, peeled and thinly sliced
- Roasted Salsa:
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slicing tomatoes, quartered (about 3 pounds)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 white onion, quartered
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Juice of 2 limes
Heat the canola oil in a large skillet.
Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper. Add the flour to a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, lightly beat the eggs. In another shallow bowl, add the panko. Lightly coat both sides of the steaks in the flour, then egg, then panko.
Pan fry 2 steaks at a time until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the steak from the skillet and onto a paper-towel-lined-plate. Repeat with the remaining 2 steaks. Sprinkle the fried steaks with salt.
In a small bowl, add the sour cream, lime zest, lime juice and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Cut the rolls in half lengthwise and spread one side with the sour cream mixture. Lay the steaks on each roll and top with the lettuce, Roasted Salsa, jalapenos and avocados. Blast Spanish radio station and enjoy.Roasted Salsa:
Position a rack on the top of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, the tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno, onions and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the vegetables on a baking sheet and roast until soft, 20 to 25 minutes. Add the roasted vegetables to a food processor with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, the cilantro, vinegar, sugar and lime juice. Pulse until chunky. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.