Larsen's Fish Market Seafood Chowder
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/8 cup mirin (sweetened sake)
- 1 tablespoon crab boil seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 quarts fish stock
- 2 quarts clam broth
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound crab meat, picked over for shells
- 1/2 pound lobster meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 1 pound small shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 pound skinned whitefish, such as cod or halibut, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound firm whitefish such as monkfish or swordfish, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pint half-and-half or cream, heated (do not boil)
Melt butter in a large stockpot. Saute onions and celery in butter until soft and translucent. Add mirin and continue to cook until it is almost reduced. Stir in crab boil seasoning and 1 tablespoon pepper. Continue to cook approximately 1 minute. Pour in fish stock and clam broth and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook the potatoes until just tender. Continue to simmer and add crab, lobster, scallops, and shrimp. Return to a simmer and add fish. Gently poach fish until just cooked. Add heated half-and-half. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Enjoy!
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.