Simple Fritto Misto
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Generous pinch salt, plus more for sprinkling
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sparkling water
- 4 ounces green beans, halved if long
- 2 small zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 lemon, sliced into very thin round slices
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, pour enough oil to fill the pan about a third of the way. Heat over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 375 degrees F.
Mix the flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk in the water to make a thin batter. Dip the green beans, zucchini and lemons in the batter and carefully place them in the saucepan. Fry the vegetables until lightly browned, 1 to 3 minutes. Drain the vegetables on paper towels and immediately sprinkle with salt. Serve the vegetables warm.
Recipe courtesy of Melissa d'Arabian