For the tempura:
- 6 ounces canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Sabor Italia, recipe follows
- 6 egg whites
- Water, for consistency
- 2 chicken breasts, pounded thin and sliced
- 4 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
For the sauce:
- 1 poblano chile, grilled, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons Sabor Italia, divided, recipe follows
- 2 ounces red wine
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and preheat 6 ounces canola oil to 400 degrees F.
Thread chicken slices onto wooden skewers. Season, to taste, with Sabor Italia. Dredge the skewers into 1/2 cup flour and then into prepared batter. Place skewers immediately into preheated oil and fry until golden brown. Place onto a baking sheet and finish in the oven, about 5 minutes. Do the same for the shrimp.
For the sauce: In a medium saute pan over medium-high heat, saute the poblano, onions and a pinch of Sabor Italia. Add the red wine and chocolate and stir until combine. Add the chili powder and remaining Sabor Italia and stir until thickened. Add the chopped tomatoes and stir. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro leaves.
Place skewers on a platter and top with sauce.
For the Sabor Italia: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months
* Guest Recipe
A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.