Calabrese Broad Beans and Roasted Potatoes
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, cut in half length wise and sliced 1/3-inch thick
- 1 1/2 pounds broad beans, stem removed and each cut into 3 pieces (may substitute green beans if broad beans not available)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced thin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 cup canned whole plum tomatoes
- 1 cup cold water
Place potatoes in cold salted water and bring up to a boil, simmer 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add beans to water and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon.
In a saute pan over medium-high heat, heat 1/3-cup extra-virgin olive oil. When oil is hot add potatoes and cook for 8 minutes until light brown. Add garlic and season with salt and pepper. When garlic is light brown, add the chili flakes and saute for 10 seconds, then add oregano. Continue to saute for 4 minutes. Using your hands, squeeze the tomatoes between your fingers right into the pan. Add 1 cup cold water. Add broad beans. When it comes to a simmer, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off and let sit 5 minutes, then stir in remaining olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed, and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello