- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons (about 6 cloves) chopped garlic
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 red peppers, seeded, small diced
- 1/2 cup chopped basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup marinara sauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat and add the garlic. Saute 1 minute and then add the peppers and onions and saute until just soft. Let cool.
Whisk together the basil, parsley and eggs in a small bowl, and then add the salt and black pepper. Combine the Parmesan and breadcrumbs in another small bowl. Thoroughly combine the meat, herbs and eggs, Parmesan and breadcrumbs, the Worcestershire, vinegar and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil together in a large bowl using your hands, making sure not to overmix.
Pack the meat mixture into an oiled loaf pan, if you do not have a loaf pan, form the meat mixture into a loaf shape on an oiled oven tray or baking dish. Top with the marinara making sure to spread evenly over the top.
Bake for approximately 50 to 60 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees F in the middle of the meatloaf. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.