Roasted Barley Salad with Bacon and Vegetables
- 1 3/4 cups pearl barley (3/4 pound)
- 5 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
- 5 cups water
- l bay leaf
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme leaves
- 1 zucchini, cut 1/2-inch rounds
- 4 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 pound button mushroom, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, minced (about 3/4 cup)
Put barley in a saute pan over medium heat and toast until medium brown. In a pot, bring the stock and water to a boil with the bay leaf and salt. Add toasted barley and cook until tender about20 minutes. Drain and spread out on cookie sheet to cool.
Cook bacon in nonstick skillet until crisp. Remove and add the garlic to the same skillet. When it begins to turn light brown, add the carrots and thyme. Saute for 1 minute, then add the zucchini and continue to saute for another 30 seconds. Take off the heat and add vinegar and olive oil, and season. Set aside and let cool.
Toss the barley with the sliced mushrooms, bacon, carrot mixture and parsley. Season well with salt and pepper and serve.
Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen