- 3 (12-ounce) jars cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound smoked ham hock or 1/2 pound chunk prosciutto
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped, plus 1 whole clove
- 6 cups water, divided
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 leek, white and light green only, minced and rinsed
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1 carrot, small diced
- 1 celery stalk, small diced
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 pound Tuscan black cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 pound napa cabbage, chopped
- 3/4 cup, tomato puree
- 6 slices Italian bread, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Freshly grated Parmesan
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Drain beans in a colander and gently rinse under cold water.
With 3 tablespoons of the oil saute the ham hocks, when brown turn over and add 1 clove chopped garlic. Add 3 cups cold water and beans, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Add thyme and rosemary sprigs.
In a soup pot add 1/4 cup oil, and remaining chopped garlic. Cook until light brown and add leek, onion, carrot, celery, and bay leaf. Saute for 8 minutes over medium heat until slightly soft. Add the cabbages and saute for 5 minutes. Add remaining 3 cups water and the tomato puree. Cook for 20 minutes. Add to beans and continue to cook for 20 more minutes. Remove ham hock. When cool chop the meat, and add back to the soup discarding the hock bones.
Place bread in oven until lightly browned. Remove from oven and rub with a clove of garlic. Brush with remaining olive oil.
When ready to eat bring the soup back to a simmer and add bread. Stir until well broken up. Serve with a healthy drizzle of olive oil and fresh grated Parmesan.