Tuscan Shrimp with White Beans
- 3 cups canned Cannelloni white beans
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 large shrimp, peeled (tail left on) and deveined
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 small serrano chile, thinly sliced or 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and diced fresh tomato, canned or fresh
- 1 cup whole basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Best-quality extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Drain the beans over a bowl and reserve the liquid. Put the white beans in a large skillet with just enough of their liquid to moisten them. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and bring the beans to a low simmer. Keep them warm while you prepare the shrimp.
Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the shrimp, season with salt and cook for about 1 minute, tossing frequently. Remove the shrimp with tongs to a bowl. Add the garlic to the pan and saute until the garlic browns. Add the serrano chile or chili flakes and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato and basil and stir briefly, then add the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 minute, and then stir in the shrimp. Toss well and cook briefly to reheat the shrimp. Remove the shrimp mixture to a plate and sprinkle with parsley.
Spoon the white beans on a platter or individual plates. Drizzle them with the best olive oil you have, and then top with the shrimp. Serve warm.
Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis