Momma's Shrimp and Tada Salad
This is a recipe that feeds my beenyah soul. It's simple, but when you work from raw ingredients, as we did, it's a project. We had to catch[ the shrimp, then head, peel (shell) and devein them. Potatoes had to be planted, tended, dug, washed, peeled, cut and boiled. And all the other ingredients had to be bought, grown or collected. The sea and the garden, as well as all we did to harvest from both, come together in what remains one of my favorite dishes. I remember shrimp and tada salad filling my favorite bowl on Momma's Sunday dinner table. And my kids still beg me to fix it for them. Trouble is, I have to beg them to peel the shrimp. I still can't bring myself to buy precooked frozen shrimp, but this recipe will work with them, too.]
- 2 cups medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 5 to 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 to 6 eggs
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 to 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme or fresh leaves
- 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Sprinkle paprika
- Hot sauce (optional-if you like it hot!)
- 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup mayonnaise, to taste
- Lettuce or fresh greens, for serving
Add the shrimp to boiling, salted water and cook 2 to 3 minutes (cook too long and they'll get chewy, then mushy). Boil the diced potatoes separately or in the shrimp water until tender but still firm, 10 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, boil the eggs until hard, about 10 to 15 minutes. Allow all to cool while you dice the peppers and celery.
Dice the eggs and combine all of the remaining ingredients, adding the mayonnaise last, so you can control the texture of the salad. Chill and serve over a bed of lettuce or other fresh greens.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.