Mussels with Chorizo and Fennel
- 2 tablespoons Portuguese olive oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced Portuguese or Spanish chorizo
- 2 celery stalks, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 fennel bulb, sliced thinly
- 1/2 onion, sliced thinly
- 25 mussels, cleaned well
- 1/2 cup clam juice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 loaf crusty bread, for serving
Heat a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and chorizo and saute for about 2 minutes. Then the celery, garlic, tomatoes, fennel and onions, and saute until tender but not too soft, 5 to 8 minutes.
Add the mussels, and saute again until the mussels start to pop open. Add the clam juice and wine and cover the skillet. Steam the mussels until they open, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove any mussels that didn't open, and transfer the rest from the skillet to a serving bowl(s), leaving the liquid behind. Add the butter and simmer until the liquid reduces a bit, about 2 minutes.
Pour the liquid over the mussels and serve with a delightful crusty bread.
This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use, therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.