- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, peeled and microplaned or minced
- 12 anchovies preserved in olive oil, drained and chopped
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- A variety of raw vegetables, including fennel, cauliflower, Belgian endive, sweet peppers and zucchini
Put the oil in a pan with the garlic and anchovies and cook over low heat, stirring, until you have a melted, muddy mess. Everything should begin to meld together. Whisk in 6 tablespoons of butter, and as soon as it has melted, remove from the heat and give a few more beats of your whisk so that everything is creamy and amalgamated. Taste, and if you feel you want this as a dipping sauce - which is meant to be pungent but not acrid. If you want the sauce a little more mellow, whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Pour into a dish that, ideally, fits over a flame so that it does not get cold at the table.
Dip in the crudites and eat.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.