- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 extra-large whole eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup buttermilk, shaken
- Popping Candy Buttercream, recipe follows
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line mini cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and yolks, 1 at a time, and then stir in the vanilla extract. Stir in the vegetable oil. Fold in the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk.
Fill the cupcake liners about three-quarters full. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely, and then frost with Popping Candy Buttercream and enjoy!
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Popping Candy Buttercream:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 cups powdered sugar, well sifted
- 1 to 3 teaspoons cream, as needed
- Popping candy, for garnish (recommended: Pop Rocks)
Beat together the butter and vanilla extract until smooth. Beat in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, adjusting for taste. Beat in the cream, 1 teaspoon at a time, if the frosting is too thick. Frost the cupcakes with the buttercream, and then sprinkle 1 to 2 teaspoons popping candy per cupcake.