Potato and Sausage Dressing
- Giblets, reserved from the turkey
- 1 cup red vermouth
- 1 cup sultanas or raisins
- 4 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 pound 10 ounces breakfast sausage, crumbled
- 4 stalks celery, diced (about 3 cups)
- 2 small onions, diced (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 bunch savory, leaves chopped
- 1 bunch thyme, leaves chopped
- 1 bunch oregano, leaves chopped
- 2 teaspoons sage, leaves chopped
- 4 cups bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Rinse the turkey giblets and turkey neck. Place in a medium sauce pot and cover with cold water. Over medium low heat, simmer the giblets for 1 hour. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Place the vermouth in a small saucepan and bring it to a simmer over high heat, then turn off the heat. Add the sultanas to the vermouth and let them soak for 10 minutes.
Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once fully cooked, drain and cool on a baking sheet.
While the potatoes are cooking, cook the sausage in a large pan over medium heat. Add the celery and onion, cooking until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
In a large bowl, toss the savory, thyme, oregano, sage, potato, bread crumbs, and sultanas. Add the sausage mixture, salt and pepper. Spread the dressing in a large glass baking dish. Drizzle the mixture with giblet broth. Cover with foil, and bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.