Potato and Sausage Dressing
- Giblets, reserved from the turkey
- 1 cup red vermouth
- 1 cup sultanas or raisins
- 4 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 pound 10 ounces breakfast sausage, crumbled
- 4 stalks celery, diced (about 3 cups)
- 2 small onions, diced (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 bunch savory, leaves chopped
- 1 bunch thyme, leaves chopped
- 1 bunch oregano, leaves chopped
- 2 teaspoons sage, leaves chopped
- 4 cups bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Rinse the turkey giblets and turkey neck. Place in a medium sauce pot and cover with cold water. Over medium low heat, simmer the giblets for 1 hour. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Place the vermouth in a small saucepan and bring it to a simmer over high heat, then turn off the heat. Add the sultanas to the vermouth and let them soak for 10 minutes.
Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once fully cooked, drain and cool on a baking sheet.
While the potatoes are cooking, cook the sausage in a large pan over medium heat. Add the celery and onion, cooking until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
In a large bowl, toss the savory, thyme, oregano, sage, potato, bread crumbs, and sultanas. Add the sausage mixture, salt and pepper. Spread the dressing in a large glass baking dish. Drizzle the mixture with giblet broth. Cover with foil, and bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
Recipe courtesy The Cookworks, 2003
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen