30 Minute Southern Classic: Country Captain Chicken
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups white and wild rice or long grain rice
- 2/3 cup flour, eyeball it
- 1 rounded tablespoon sweet paprika
- 4 pieces, 6 ounces each, boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 or 3 large cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder or mild curry paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 can diced tomatoes in puree or chunky style crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup golden raisins or currants, a couple of handfuls
- 2 ounces, 1 small pouch, sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- 3 scallions, chopped, for garnish
Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add butter and rice and return water to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover the pot. Cook rice 20 minutes or until tender. Turn off heat and fluff rice with a fork.
Combine flour and paprika in a shallow dish. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cut each chicken breast and thigh in 1/2 on an angle. Coat chicken pieces in paprika seasoned flour. Wash your hands and chicken work surfaces thoroughly.
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to the pan. Brown chicken pieces, 3 minutes on each side, and remove from the skillet. Add butter to the pan, then stir in peppers, onions and garlic. Season the veggies with salt and pepper and saute them 5 to 7 minutes to soften. Add curry, stock, tomatoes and raisins. Slide chicken back into the skillet and simmer over moderate heat for 5 minutes to combine flavors and finish cooking the chicken through. Place skillet on a trivet and serve the chicken from the pan. Garnish the Country Captain's chicken with sliced almonds. Transfer rice to a serving dish and garnish with chopped scallions.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.