Bacon and Black Bean Smash
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves or scallions, optional garnish
- Sour cream, optional garnish
Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil and bacon. Render fat 2 minutes then add onion and garlic, cook 5 minutes. Add 1 can of beans to the pan and season them with salt, pepper and cumin then smash them with a potato masher, combining them with bacon and onions. When they are combined, add remaining can of beans and combine with smashed beans. Add hot sauce to your taste and serve. Chopped cilantro or scallions and sour cream are optional garnishes to this smash.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.