Beef and Black Bean Chili with Green Onion Corn Cakes
- 2 pounds ground beef sirloin, 90 percent lean
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons dark chili powder, 2 palm fulls
- 1 tablespoon cumin, 1/2 palm full
- 1 cup beef stock or broth, 1/2 a 14-ounce can or paper container
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce or tomato puree
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, a handful, optional
- 2 (8 1/2-ounce) packages, corn muffin mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or corn oil
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- Butter, for greasing griddle pan
In a large deep skillet or pot, brown ground beef in oil over high heat. Season meat with salt and pepper, then add Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to medium high when the meat is browned and crumbled, then add onion, garlic, red peppers, jalapeno. Season veggies and meat with chili powder and cumin. Cook veggies and meat together 5 minutes. Stir in broth and scrape up pan drippings. Stir in diced and pureed tomatoes and black beans. When the mixture comes to a bubble, reduce heat to simmer and stir in cilantro, optional.
Mix together 2 packages of corn muffin mix with 1 cup milk, 2 beaten eggs, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and sliced scallions. Batter should be thick. Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle pan over moderate heat. Nest a pat of butter into folded paper towel and wipe hot pan surface with it to lightly grease. Pour corn cake batter into the hot griddle pan or skillet in 3 or 4-inch rounds. Cook 2 or 3 minutes on each side, until golden. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining batter.
To serve, top bowls of beef and black bean chili with green onion corn cake toppers. Eat the chili and corn toppers as you would a pot pie, grabbing some of the corn cake with each spoonful of chili.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.