- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, 2/3 palm full
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream or reduced fat sour cream
- Handful chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 package fresh gnocchi, in refrigerated section of market, 12 to14 ounces
- 2 tablespoons chives
Heat the extra-virgin olive oil and butter in a large, deep skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the ground chicken. Brown the meat 3 to 4 minutes, push it off to the sides of the pan then add mushrooms, garlic, onions and peppers to the center of the pan. Cook the vegetables 5 minutes then mix them together with chicken and season with smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Stir in stock and tomato sauce and bring to a bubble. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 5 minutes then stir in sour cream and turn off heat. Add parsley. Adjust seasonings, to your taste.
While chicken goulash cooks, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Salt boiling water and cook gnocchi until they puff up like pillows and float, 5 minutes or to package suggestions. Drain gnocchi and add to chicken just after you stir in the sour cream.
Ladle goulash with gnocchi into shallow bowls and garnish with chives.