Chicken and Waffle Monte Cristos with Rosemary-Maple Gravy
- 8 slices thick cut bacon or sliced pancetta
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups multi-grain pancake mix (recommended: Highland Sugarworks)
- 1 large egg
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- A generous handful grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/3 cup dark amber maple syrup
Heat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Arrange the bacon on a slotted pan or on a cooling rack set on top of a baking sheet. Bake the bacon or pancetta until crisp, 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut each chicken breast horizontally to make 2 small cutlets from each piece. Pound the cutlets very thin and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Preheat the waffle iron.
Melt a couple of tablespoons butter in small dish in the microwave. Combine the pancake mix, egg, milk, vegetable oil, nutmeg, cheese, and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Brush the waffle iron with melted butter and fill it with half of the batter, to make 4 square waffles.
While the waffle cooks, heat a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil in large skillet over medium-low heat and add the chicken cutlets. Saute, 4 cutlets at a time, until cooked through, a couple of minutes on each side.
When the cutlets are all cooked, add a couple tablespoons butter to pan. When the butter has melted, stir in the rosemary and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle in the flour, stir for 1 more minute, then whisk in the stock. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, then add the syrup. Reduce heat to low.
Make second set of 4 waffles, while keeping the first set warm in oven with the bacon.
To serve, cut the waffles into 8 squares. Arrange a chicken cutlet on each waffle and top with a couple of slices of bacon or pancetta. Add a second cutlet on the bacon and cover with another waffle. Cut the chicken and bacon wafflewich from corner to corner and serve with gravy poured over the top or in individual ramekins for dipping.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.