- 1 tube jumbo bake-off butter biscuits, from the dairy aisle of market (recommended: Grands by Pillsbury)
- Sweet paprika, for sprinkling
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast pieces, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 ribs celery and greens from the heart, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded potatoes, ready to cook hash browns, available in sacks on dairy aisle
- 1 pint half-and-half or cream
- 1 quart chicken stock, available in boxes on soup aisle
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg, a healthy grating
- 1 cup frozen green peas
Preheat oven according to package directions and arrange biscuits on cookie sheet. You will have 4 extra biscuits. Save them for ham and cheese or egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches the next morning. Sprinkle biscuits with a little paprika and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
In a medium pot over medium to medium high heat, cook chicken in butter 2 minutes then add veggies and season with salt and pepper and poultry seasoning. Cook 5 minutes more, add flour cook another minute. Add potatoes, then whisk in half-and-half or cream and chicken stock. Add nutmeg. Bring soup to a boil by raising heat, then turn heat back to simmer and cook soup another 10 minutes. Adjust seasonings. Add peas. Stir in to warm them through a minute.
Serve mugs of soup with biscuits on top to cap the mug: chicken mug pies!