- 4 cooked chicken sausages, available at your meat counter -- get a Mediterranean flavor, such as pepper and onion or sundried tomato and basil
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup chicken stock or dry white wine, a generous douse
- 1 cubanelle pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup giardiniera (Italian pickled vegetable salad: hot peppers, cauliflower, carrots and celery mix available in jars on Italian food aisle or in bulk bins near olives)
- Handful Italian flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (10 leaves)
- 1/2 a lemon, zested (2 teaspoons)
- 4 crusty sub rolls, split
Prick sausages with a fork. Place chicken sausages in a large skillet and add 1 inch of water. Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil to the skillet, 1 turn of the pan. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat a little. Allow all the liquid to cook away, then brown and crisp the casings, 5 to 6 minutes. Deglaze the pan with stock or wine and cook it off, 1 minute. Remove sausages to a platter.
While sausage cooks, slice the peppers and onions and prepare the garlic. Once the chicken sausage comes out of the pan, add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add veggies and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook 10 minutes.
Place the giardiniera, parsley, basil and lemon zest in the food processor and grind into a relish.
Slice sausages on an angle. Fill each roll with a little relish, then peppers and onions then the sliced sausages.