Ciabatta Pizza with Squash Caponata
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds yellow squash and/or zucchini, small dice
- 1 medium onion, red or yellow, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small red chile, Fresno or Holland, chopped or thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 cubanelle pepper, chopped
- 1 small red bell or sweet red frying pepper, seeded and chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Sicilian green olives, chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 to 3 tablespoons capote capers, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar, or a splash of dry wine
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
- A handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- A few leaves fresh basil, torn
- 1 large loaf ciabatta bread, split horizontally
- 2 1/2 cups (10-ounce package) shredded provolone, or 1/2 pound caciocavallo cheese, shredded
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, onions, garlic, chile, celery, cubanelle pepper, red bell pepper, and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook about 10 to 12 minutes to soften vegetables. Add in the olives, raisins, and capers once the veggies start to give off their juice. Add the vinegar, then tomato sauce. Reduce heat to a simmer. Stir in the parsley and basil to finish.
Arrange bread on a large baking sheet and top with an even, thick layer of caponata. Then top that with an even layer of cheese and bake for 5 minutes to brown and melt the cheese. Cut each 1/2 loaf into 3 large squares of bread pizza.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.