Crispy Chicken Cutlets with Basil-Parsley Sauce
- 2 pounds chicken cutlets
- Salt and pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano, a couple of handfuls
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 (3-ounce) jar pine nuts (pignoli)
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Olive oil, for shallow frying
- Basil- Parsley Sauce:
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup loosely packed parsley leaves
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- 1 Roma or plum tomato, seeded and finely chopped, for garnish
- Cheesy Risi e Bisi:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 to 4 cups chicken stock, 1 quart size box, available on soup aisle of the market
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano, a generous handful
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup tiny frozen peas
DirectionsBasil- Parsley Sauce:
Season the cutlets with salt and pepper on both sides turn lightly in flour.
Combine next 7 ingredients in food processor and pulse-process the crumbs to chop the spices, garlic and nuts and evenly distribute the flavors throughout the crumb and cheese mixture. Transfer the mixture to a plate. Beat eggs in a separate shallow dish.
Heat a thin layer of oil in a large skillet, just enough to coat the bottom of the pan, over medium to medium high heat. Coat the cutlets in eggs then breading and add to the hot oil. Cook cutlets in a single layer, in 2 batches if necessary, about 3 or 4 minutes on each side, until cutlets' juices run clear and breading is evenly browned.
Serve chicken cutlets with a generous amount of basil and parsley sauce poured over the cutlets. Garnish the chicken with finely chopped Roma tomato. Serve Cheesy Risi e Bisi alongside.Cheesy Risi e Bisi:
Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil and garlic and onion and saute, stirring constantly 2 to 3 minutes then add rice and season with a little salt and pepper. Cook another minute or so then add wine and let it completely absorb, 30 seconds. Add about 1 cup chicken stock and stir. Reduce heat a bit to medium. Stir often and continue adding a half cup of liquid each time liquid becomes completely absorbed. Cook 22 minutes, using as much stock as is necessary to result in creamy-consistency rice with a bite to it.
When rice is cooked to desired consistency, remove from heat and stir in cheese, parsley and peas and stir to combine and to heat peas through.
Yield: 4 servings as a side dish
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutesInactive Prep Time:
Ease of preparation: easy
Thank you! your flag was submitted.