Drunken Spaghetti with Black Kale
- 1 bottle dry Italian red wine
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound pancetta, smoked pancetta, or speck, chopped into fine dice
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 bundles black, Tuscan, or Dinosaur kale, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus a chunk to shave at table
Pour the whole bottle of wine into a pasta pot and add about the same amount of water. Salt the liquid and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the pasta and cook until just shy of al dente. Heads up: Remove and reserve 1 cup of cooking water just before draining.
Meanwhile, heat a deep skillet over medium to medium-high heat with the extra-virgin olive oil. Add the pancetta and cook until crisp, 2 to 3 minutes, then add the garlic and swirl it around for 2 minutes more. Add the kale, let it wilt and then season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg, to taste. Add the reserved cooking liquid, drained pasta and the grated cheese. Toss vigorously for at least a full minute, then serve in shallow bowls. Pass the Pecorino to shave over the pasta at the table.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.