Gemelli with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 1 pound gemelli pasta (thin twists)
- 1 (16-ounce) jar roasted peppers, drained
- 2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan in a slow stream) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- A handful chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Grated Romano, as an accompaniment
- Crusty bread, as an accompaniment
Place a large pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Salt the water and cook gemelli to al dente (with a bite to it), about 9 minutes.
Grind drained roasted peppers in a food processor.
Heat a large skillet over moderate heat. Add extra virgin olive oil, garlic, and shallots to the pan. Saute garlic and shallots 3 minutes, stir in roasted peppers. Saute pepper paste 2 minutes, stir in wine or chicken stock, reduce liquid for 1 or 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and parsley. Season sauce with salt and pepper and simmer until ready to serve.
Toss hot pasta with sauce and transfer to a serving dish. Pass grated Romano and crusty bread at table.